THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 21, 2007

West Point Fun

My darling husband called Friday morning and sweetly asked, "Would it be ok if I brought 5 cadets home this afternoon and for dinner??" Apparently, they had passes to go off base and Jason invited them over to watch movies and eat "real" food. I've always said that I wanted to experience the fun of West Point by getting involved with the cadets and having our home be a "home" for them.... but I guess I was hoping for a little more notice! They came over at 3pm, all 5 of them, and I went off to the commissary to get food to feed them. They really are good "kids" (after all, they are only 19 and 20 years old!) and didn't mind that they had to wait for food. They know it's worth it! We did something simple, spaghetti and bread, after I first filled them up with Chips and Queso. (A staple in the Hale household)

The fun thing is I get to do it all over again tomorrow for 4 freshman during their "ice cream social" hour~~basically a chance for them to get away from the barracks, the upperclassmen, and a chance to relax. However, they have to wear their uniforms (white shirts over gray slacks) so I don't know how relaxing that is going to be. It also put a damper on what I can serve because I don't want to cause stains for them to stress over. (I've already come to the rescue for one of our regular cadets by using my handy stain-removal stick!) I've been learning some of what they freshmen, or plebes, go through the first year and I have the upmost respect for anyone that graduates from West Point. The most shocking I've learned is that they can't even listen to music their first year! I'm going to find out more tomorrow and then I'll share more.

Find a reason to smile and stop to smell a rose!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of Army life...a nice side of it. People like you and Jason are what will keep that good side alive. It is so easy to get into our own lives and forget how much we can do for others.
You two make us so proud!

Mommahen said...

NO MUSIC??!!! ARE YOU KIDDING?! I mean I love to carry my own tune, but even I can only stand to listen to myself for so long. God bless those freshmen! That is true dedication! And how sweet for you to serve them all.