This song is by Trace Adkins and I cry EVERY time I hear it! Arlington National Cemetery has always held a special place in my heart after visiting it so many times growing up, but when I learned that several soldiers I knew were buried there after being killed in Iraq, it is even more special now. Jason and I haven't been down there yet, but that's one of my "to do's" while we live on the East Coast. And it's not just Arlington.... but any National Cemetery that honors our fallen heros. We had 8 soldiers from Jason's company die in Iraq and they are all heros to me. I grew close to the families of 2, and will never forget any of them!
Even though it's not Memorial Day, Veteran's Day or another "Day," I always take the time to thank those that gave everything when the thought crosses my mind. I wear those 8 names on a bracelet on my wrist to remind me my freedom comes at a cost. I also used to wear a POW/MIA from Vietnam for 14 years until his remains were finally identified and returned to his wife, who I've talked to and hope to someday meet. Military runs deep in my family and I am proud to support my husband, and my father, who devote their lives to keep others free.
Here at West Point, surrounded by future officers, I am reminded even more of the sacrifice some chose to give. There is a Cemetery here that dates back to the Civil War. Twice I have gone with the Cub Scouts to place flags for Memorial and Veteran's Day and each time I am rendered speechless. There are some VERY well known names here, finally at rest, and each time I see them, I am thankful. Every week we have at least one burial for either a Veteran or a recently killed Soldier from Iraq and I am humbled. Many complain because they shut down roads and make you detour around the long way, but I always try to stop and say a prayer. Every now and then, when the wind is right, I can hear the 21 gun salute and taps and again I am reminded at how lucky we are!
So take a moment to say a silent thanks for those who are currently serving, those who gave all, and those that will choose to follow those before them.
We don't need a "Day" to be thankful!!! Let's be thankful for every day!
Thursday, January 10, 2008
"Arlington"... worth the listen!
Posted by ~Shade of my Heart~ at 3:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
let me know when you guys trip down to arlington...i've got hotels there and it might be cool to meet y'all out there.
Post a Comment