We went to the park tonight as usual, but tonight I digressed. I forgot how much I enjoy swinging. There is just something about that feeling of flying. And for just a brief moment, that feeling of weightlessness (I'll take any loss in weight I can get!!!! I did notice something different, though. They are making swings smaller these days. I don't remember my hips hurting that much before when I was done. Strange that they would make them smaller...
Brodie and I also attempted to make a sand castle, too. Well, I attempted to make one. Brodie found the joy of destruction and became the monster set out to destroy the castle! I love how we as adults can step back away from our duties and enjoy the things we are forced to give up when we "grow up." To see the excietment in the eyes of your child when you help them build something in the sand and even the pure joy of watching them knock it down. The laugh that comes from that is true and something we rarely do as adults. Why can't we find the joy of sliding down the slide, feeling the air in our hair on the swings, laugh like this is THE most fun we have had all day. Even enjoy the sting of the monkey bars on our hands and the accomplishment of making it all the way across! All too often we find ourselves looking at the "work" of play. More laundry, bathtubs to clean, sand in the house... I like to think of it as bringing the fun home!
My goal... to be a kid more. To laugh more. To enjoy what I'm doing and not look at how much more work it will make. To see things through the eyes of my kids. Yes, I know I will still have to be the parent, but it's easier to clean up a mess when you can think about how much fun you had making it!
Peter Pan had it right when he sang,
"If growing up means it would be, beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up. Never grow up. Never grow up, Not I. (Not me)"
I believe in Fairies, do you?

0 comments:
Post a Comment