Today Randy had an appointment with a doctor notorious for running at least an hour late. As we sat in the waiting room, I watched a funny situation play out. The water fountain in the waiting room was not working. There wasn't a sign on it, but the front panel was off, indicating that something wasn't right about it, or so you would think! What was amazing was not how many people tried the water fountain, but how many of them tried MANY times to make it work. They would mash the button down, multiple times. Some would even step back and look at it and then try again. It was too funny! I love "people watching" especially when it's a situation that you KNOW is going to end up humorous. One guy even came back 3 times to make sure it was still broken, pushing the button several times, stepping back to look at it and then trying once more just incase his eyes had magical power to make it work! The lady sitting next to me and I had a hard time not laughing! It was almost a dissapointment to be called into the doctor's office!
We had a really bad ice storm yesterday morning, leaving LOTS of ice on the trees and grass...but it's funny. Here, we live on the top of a mountain. The rest of the base, the school, hosptial and the Academy, are all below us down the hill. Our yard is still covered in patches of snow, ice and the trees are weighted down with ice on the branches. Drive not 2 minutes down the hill and it's ALL GONE! It's like entering a seperate world! Everything is wet, but it's muddy and yucky. There is a chill in the air, but you can manage if you have long sleeves on. On the way back home, up the hill, the change is drastic. You drive around a corner of the incline going up the hill and you are transported to a Ice World! The branches creek as the slight breeze moves them. The ice drips in a slow, but steady drip, and yet the limbs are still heavy with ice. The ground crunches when you walk and it's hard to avoid piles of snow. There is a cold that goes right through you, too. Even with a warm jacket. It averages about 4 degrees colder up here than down at the Elementary School. (Makes it hard to dress the kids the right way when you KNOW it's going to be warmer once they get to school!)
I've always loved looking at the tops of the mountains as they are covered in snow while the lower half was barren, but I've never lived in the beauty of it all! Honestly, I love it. As long as I don't have to get out in it, it can stay pretty for as long as it wants!
Here is hoping that y'all can find beauty in your weather... no matter what it is.
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Things that make you think....
Posted by ~Shade of my Heart~ at 10:52 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It's 80 and sunny here. I love it!
You might envy me or not, but I live in PR. We never have snow and the colder Ive been is low 60's (quite freezing for me but I go out sleeveless if I want to). I do like the beauty of snow, but knowing I start freezing at 85 degrees, is not an option for me!
Well, we had a storm here last night and have the rain still lingering around. The beauty of it? I can cuddle with my deary during the night while we watch tv.
And about the funny situation with the water fountain! I love when people do that! And I'm even amazed that SO many people do the same again and again. OMG! I had so much fun reading your entry! Thanks for sharing.
People are so funny re: the water fountain. I guess they wanted a drink so bad that the thought they could "will" it to work! Great story!
Post a Comment