After living in Pennsylvania and learning more about the Amish and Mennonites, and even getting to talk to a few of the children, I have had the utmost repect for them. How they continue to be strong in their faith and way of life is something I desire. They have the same religious beliefs as most Christians, it is their choice of lifestyle that truly sets us apart. Sometimes I fell completely overwhelmed with "technology" and sometimes long for loss of power. Not to mention all the money we would save without having to buy gas, pay for electricy and from eating out so much! There is nothing wrong with the "simple" way of life.. however, I doubt we would actually find it as simple as we think!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I too respect the amish...though, i have to say that I was really disappointed to hear that they do use motorized vehicles when bringing their goods to the city market. I had a friend who lived in Philly and she said they come in huge flat-bed trucks with their stuff for market.
What a wonderful picture of the children sharing the carrying of the basket! Yes there ways are truly committed to the degree of indepenpence within their community. I have such admiration for the Amish, however I do realize they do need to modernize to get products to trade. I spoke with a talented wood maker Amish man, and he was very internet savy trying to reach many to get his beautiful product out. Deb
Very true, but they don't depend on it to live, like most of us do. I would LOVE to have only electricy/internet in the barn!
Post a Comment